Please note: the Foundation can always use volunteers and sponsors for our events. We especially need an electrician for some small jobs around the playground.
Legare Farms Education Foundation is a nonprofit branch of the farm. The farm has been in operation since 1725 and the education foundation was added in 2002.
The goal of the education foundation is to help educate the people of the South Carolina Lowcountry about the importance of agriculture in our lives and history. We strive to teach these lessons about farm life while entertaining and providing a “hands on” farm experience.
Educational Foundation programs include:
- School field trips such as “Let’s Milk a Cow”, “Springtime on the Farm”, “Thanksgiving on the Farm” and our most popular field trip “The Pumpkin Patch”.
- We have summer camps for children ages 6 to 11.
- We offer farm related educational programs such as “Rent a Chick”. The Rent a Chick program is where a parent or teacher may rent 2 baby chicks for two weeks.
- Our faculties are available for birthday parties and church group outings including hayrides to feed the cows, pony rides, and visits to the Farm Animal Barnyard.
- The first Sunday in November, we host our main fund raiser for the Foundation, the Fall Harvest Dinner. The Fall Harvest Dinner is prepared by 10-12 of Charleston’s finest chefs with Legare Farms’ vegetables and meats.
- We have a weekend Civil War Re-enactment on the farm and offer a living history program to school children on the Friday of the event.
- In October we are open every weekend for pumpkin picking, exploring the 10 acre hedge maze, building your own scarecrow, taking a hayride, feeding the fish, visiting the farm animals, or having a snack at the concession stand.
- One weekend in October we offer a haunted house and haunted maze.
- In the winter months we offer hayrides to our bonfire pit for church groups, corporate groups, etc.
- We offer bird watching and horse trail rides also.
The farm is open year round however our busiest times are fall and spring. We offer the farm experience but also sell our own line of jams, jellies, honey, pickles, and salsas.
In addition to cash donations, the Legare Educational Foundation has an in-kind Wish List. Some of the needed items include:
- any outdoor furniture
- picnic tables
- folding chairs
- folding tables
- Coleman lanterns
- plastic storage boxes(all sizes)
- long sleeve shirts(for scarecrows)
- garden benches
- outdoor toys