Add some variety to your table with our delicious family recipes. Some of these go back generations...and some do not. But always, we use the farm fresh ingredients we grow...and sell! See our own products here.
Vegetable & Rice Dishes
I was looking for a recipe that didn't involve cooking in this July heat. I was thinking salad so I came up with a cucumber salad. Cucumbers don't like me so I don't eat them but everyone tells me this is a good one
- 2 or 3 tender cucumbers, peeled and cut into very thin slices
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- Dash of red pepper
Baked Red Rice
- 2 small cans tomato paste
- 4 cans water
- 4 tablespoons bacon grease
- salt, pepper, and sugar to taste
- 1 onion, cut up
- 1 bell pepper, cut up
- 1 ¾ cups Uncle Ben’s converted rice
- ½ lb. Hillshire smoked sausage, cut up (I use Legare Farms sausage like onion or garlic)
- 1 lb broccoli
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Cut the broccoli into bite size florets. Combine the olive oil, garlic powder, and salt in a bowl. Mix well then add the broccoli and toss until the broccoli is coated well. Spread broccoli out on a cookie sheet in a single layer. Place in the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes or until tender.
Parmesan cheese can be added after removing from the oven.OVEN-FRIED GREEN TOMATOES
- 4 large green tomatoes (small ones too hard to handle)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Vegetable oil spray
- 1 ½ cups fat-free buttermilk
- 2 cups panko
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- seasoning of your choice. (I use Cajun seasoning but you can use any combination you like).
Preheat oven to 400°. Cut tomatoes into ¼ inch slices. Sprinkle both sides of tomatoes with salt and pepper. Place a wire rack coated with cooking spray on a cookie sheet. Pour buttermilk into a shallow dish. Mix breadcrumbs and seasonings in another shallow dish. Dredge tomatoes in flour. Dip in buttermilk and dredge in panko. Bake for 18-20 minutes until golden brown, turning once after 10 minutes. Serve with dressing of choice. honey mustard, ranch, etc.
Okra and Tomatoes
- 2 lbs okra
- 2 medium onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 8 large tomatoes diced
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
Put bacon drippings in large pot. Add onions and cook until clear. Add diced tomatoes, pepper, and salt. Cook until soft. Wash okra well. Cut off tips and stem ends; cut okra crosswise into ½ inch slices. Add okra to tomatoes and simmer until okra is tender.
I serve over rice. I also sometimes add sausage for a complete meal
Sweet and Tangy Freezer Pickles
- 10 to 12 medium pickling cucumbers (about 2 pounds), thinly sliced
- 3 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 3 tablespoons salt, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
In a large container, combine cucumbers, onions, green pepper and 2 tablespoons salt. Cover with crushed ice; mix well. Refrigerate for 8 hours. Drain; rinse and drain again. In saucepan, combine the sugar, vinegar, celery seed and remaining salt. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute. Spoon over cucumber mixture. Pour into jars or freezer containers. Cool. Top with lids. Cover and freeze for up to 6 weeks. Thaw at room temperature for 4 hours before serving.
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup salad oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 cups cooked pumpkin (substitute raisin, dates, banana or other fruits)
- 3 ½ cups flour
Mix all ingredients together with electric mixer until just mixed – do not overbeat. Divide in 3 bread pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
- 1 pint jar of Legare Farms’ Pumpkin Butter (or Sweet Potato Butter)
- 2 eggs
- 1 frozen pie shell
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. If pie shell is still frozen put it in oven for about 3 minutes. Beat the eggs into the Pumpkin Butter. Add pumpkin mix into the pie shell and place in oven. Let cook for about 30 minutes or until golden brown on top. Serve with whip crème on top.
Ground Beef Casserole
- 1 pound Legare Farms’ ground beef (browned in small amount of fat)
- 2 large onions (sliced and cooked until tender in ground beef fat)
- 4 or 5 medium potatoes, sliced
- 1 can of cream of mushroom soup (10 oz) (substitute cream of celery if you have non mushroom eaters)
- Paprika-small amount
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
Mexican Beef Hash
- 1 Cup chopped onion
- 1 Cup chopped green pepper
- 1 lb. ground beef Legare Farms' of coarse
- 3 to 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 2 (1lb.) cans tomatoes (4Cups fresh)
Saute onion and green peppers with ground beef until beef is browned.
Add remaining ingredients, except tomatoes and mix well.
Line 2 (1 ½ quart) casseroles with aluminum foil.
Divide mixture evenly between the 2 casseroles.
Pour 1 can tomatoes over each casserole and mix lightly to blend.
Cover and bake in moderate oven (350 degrees) for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
You may freeze 1 of the casseroles to serve later.Cook for 20 minutes then remove from oven, let cool to room temperature, place in freezer. When completely frozen remove aluminum foil and cover with Saran Wrap and return to freezer. Recommended storage time 3 to 6 months. To serve remove from freezer, remove Saran Wrap and cook at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
- 1 lb. Legare Farms ground beef
- 1 package Liptons Onion Soup mix
- 1 egg
- 2 slices bread crumbled (crackers or corn flakes can be substituted)
- 4 dashes of ketchup
- 2 dashes of Worcestershire sauce
Combine all ingredients mixing well. Put in greased medium size baking dish forming a loaf. Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes until done.
Simple Beef Stew
- 1 lb. cubed stew meat
- 2 onions
- 2 cups water (I use diced tomatoes in place of the water)
- 2 lbs. potatoes cubed
- 2 lbs. carrots (I usually add more since I really love carrots)
Put water in pot, bring to a boil adding onions reduce heat. Let onions cook slowly for 5 minutes then add meat. Cook over low heat for 1 hour or until meat is tender. Add potatoes at 30 minutes and add carrots at 45 minutes. Add salt to taste. Serve over rice for a complete meal.
This can also be cooked in the crock pot. I put the water, meat, and onions on low and cook all day. As soon as I get home at night I add the potatoes and then the carrots.
Email or call the office if you have questions or need information.